9/20/09

Pride and Prejudice (1813)

This was officially my first Austen book. Not exactly my first exposure to her, her novels are so mainstream and made into numerous movies (on both sides of the pond) but I had never read one of her books. I admitted this to the class in my grad class and actually I was not a minority. A lot of people had skipped her or just watched the movies.

So, while I was reading this book I was struggling not to imagine the movie that I saw a few years ago playing out in my brain (i believe I saw the 2006 version with Keira Knightley). All together, once I got past the first 50 pages I become more interested and invested in the story line and by the time I finished it I genuinely enjoyed the novel so much that I kicked myself for not having signed up to write one of my position papers on it.

The class has a focus on Edith Wharton/Jane Austen so my next dozen books are decided for me- don't know when I'll return to the luxury of selecting my own books...

No comments:

Post a Comment